BlaB! WS - How to install on Cpanel managed server
You are supposed to have a Cpanel VPS and a default or close to default Cpanel configured website - PHP, MySQL/MariaDB, Apache with SSL enabled. This guide will not work on a Cpanel based shared hosting service.
- A managed with Cpanel Linux server (VPS) with SSH access as a root user or with
- A Cpanel website on this server with PHP, MySQL/MariaDB, Apache and SSL enabled
- shell_exec enabled in php.ini (how to check / enable shell_exec)
Download blabws-server 32-bit or 64-bit, unzip and upload the folder blabws-server under
/opt so that the absolute path to the blabws-server executable file is:
- Upload in binary mode - the two files blabws-server on your computer & remote server must be exactly the same size
- Make sure the server is executable:
chmod +x /opt/blabws-server/blabws-serveror Filezilla » File Permissions » 755
If you have Cpanel & WHM navigate to Cpanel » EasyApache and make sure that both mod_proxy and mod_proxy_wstunnel are enabled. If you cannot find EasyApache in Cpanel look for the following file:
where XXX is is a 3-digit number. No such file? Ask your hosting provider to enable mod_proxy_wstunnel for you.
Add the following line at the end of /etc/apache2/conf.modules.d/XXX_mod_proxy_wstunnel.conf:
ProxyPass "/MyWsServer/" "ws://localhost:9002/"
Save and restart Apache.
Download BlaB! WS (client), unzip the content in an empty folder and upload it to your server under your website directory.
CHMOD blabws/config.php to 666, blabws/attachments to 777, navigate with your browser to YOUR_WEBSITE_URL.COM/blabws/index.php and follow the instructions (3 steps only).
At the end of the installation process you'll see a link to the Admin CP - go to Server, and set:
- protocol: wss
- Server port: remove 9002 and leave the box empty
- ProxyPass token: MyWsServer
Save with OKAY, start your websocket server from BOARD » SERVER STATUS, press the ESC key to display the menu, hit EXIT to go to chat.
Page updated: 2019-02-08